THE TEN USEFUL TALKS / DASA KATHA
DASA KATHA /THE TEN USEFUL TALKS ( For Those Ones in the Path to Purification)
FROM THE RATHAVINITA SUTTA - THE RELAY CHARIOTS Part -1-
On one occasion the Blessed one was living at Rajagaha in the Bamboo grove, a number of Bikkhus who had spent the Rains at the Blessed one’s native land, went to the blessed one, and after paying homage to him, sat down at one side. The Blessed one asked them: “Bikkhus who in my native land is esteemed by the Bikkhus there, by his companions in the holy life, in this way?
1. Having only few wishes himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on fewness of wishes ( Appichcha Katha)
2. Content himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on contentment ( Santuthti Katha)
3. Secluded himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on seclusion (paviweka Katha)
4. Aloof from society himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on aloofness from society (Asansagga Kata)
5. Energetic himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on arousing energy (Weeryaramba Katha)
6. Attained to virtue himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on the attainment of virtue (Seela Katha)
7. Attainment to concentration himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on the attainment of the concentration (Samadhi Katha)
8. attained to wisdom himself, he talks to the Bikkus on the attainment of wisdom ( Pragna Katha)
9. Attained to deliverance himself, he talks to the Bikkhus on the attainment of deliverance (Vimukthi Katha)
10. Attained to the knowledge and vision of deliverance himself, he talks to the Bikkuhs on the attainment of the knowledge and vision of deliverance (Vimukthi Gnanadassana Katha)
He is the one who advises, informs, instructs, urges, rouses, and gladdens his companions in the holy life”
“Venerable Sir, the venerable Punna Mantaniputta is so esteemed in the Blessed One’s native land by the Bikkus there by his companions in the holy life,” said the other Bikkhus.
Ven. Punna Mantaniputta was later declared by the Buddha, the most eminent bikkhu among the preaches of the Dhamma.
In the end, Ven, Sariputtha and Ven. Punna Manthaniputta had a long discussion about the simile of the seven relay chariots and the purifications of the seven factors . These seven factors need to be purified by one, in order to live a holy life under the Blessed one for the sake of reaching the final Nibbana....
(FROM THE MIDLE LENGTH DISCOURES OF THE BUDDHA- Translated by Bikkhu Gnanamoli and Bikkhu Bodhi)